Author: Alexander Madonna, Group Head Company iConText
Shopping on the Google Ads has long proven itself the most effective tool in e-commerce. You do not need to pick up the semantic core, or write ads to run trade campaigns. However, you need to prepare your data feed, the quality of which will depend on the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
Feed - is structured according to a specific format on the product information that is loaded into the Google Merchant Center (GMC). The interface of the service takes place on the main job feed. To use the products in Shopping campaigns, you must link your GMC with Google Ads accounts.
This article will talk about Google Merchant Center interface components feeds and more focus on each attribute in the feed individually. Specification feeds are in Google Ads help, but here I want to focus on the main attributes and recommendations for their use.
Account Verification GMC
After account creation you need to verify it, and it can be done in three ways:
In the first and second case, through the established codes of Google Analytics or GTM, and in the latter by setting a small html-tag attribute head site.
You can also create a multi-client account. In fact, it is the same that MCC in Google Ads, only GMC-accounts. Under the MCA, you can create podakkaunty, for example, for different subdomains or different sellers when it comes to marketpleyse.
After confirmation URL, go to the Feed. Now you can add items to the GMC by the piece, but for large volumes need to create a feed. To do this, the first step is to select a country and language:
In this step, we determine to which country will be targeted and in what language will the data in the feed. If the goods are delivered to the store in a few countries, it is necessary for each country to create a separate feed in the language of the target country. It should be borne in mind that in all countries English is available as a second language.
The next step - selection of the data download. Here are four possible options:
1. Download from Google Spreadsheets.
2. On schedule: your items will be stored on the link and loaded into the GMC regularly scheduled.
3. Download: data will be updated only when you load them yourself.
4. Content API: data about products in a GMC will be loaded on the API Google Merchant Center. This is the best option for companies that product information is changed several times a day, and if the quantity of goods in the millions.
The most common methods of the first and third, because they allow a regular update of the product data. In addition, they are less complex to implement than, for example, Content API.
Attributes data feeds
All of these methods have one thing - we need correct data that must be transferred to the Google Merchant Center. The data in this case - is a set of attributes describing the properties of the product, the terms of sale and delivery. The information transmitted in each attribute has a specific format, failure of which will result in an error. Some of the attributes are required, some - no, but I advise you to add as much information about the goods.
This is the number that is assigned to the product on the site. It is important that the feed per country and language ID must be unique. At the same time, it feeds in different languages, but in the same country, you can use the same ID. This also applies to feeds for different countries.
As an ID, you can download, for example, an identifier of heading (SKU).
If you want to use the same ID with different values to the same country and language, you can add custom postfix using rules GMC.
The product can be described by this attribute, using up to 150 characters. It is important to indicate the main keywords in the beginning, because Google often cuts the title in the search results when a carousel built.
Folded shows about 30 characters in the expanded - 50.
Title - one of the most important attributes: it affects the search relevancy and CTR. Therefore, this attribute is necessary to add the brand, model, size, material, color - something that will meet user needs. Basic recommendation: it is necessary to indicate the brand, product type and properties of the product. Next, I will provide Google recommendations for certain categories:
- Clothing: brand + sex + type of product properties of the product +
Example: Pull & Bear sweater M, S, blue, 100% cotton.
- Furniture: brand product + + product properties (size, weight, quantity).
- Electronics: brand + properties + + product type model.
- Title Genre + + format (hard, soft cover, eBook) + author.
- Season: event (Christmas, March 8) + type of product + product properties.
Here it is necessary to provide any additional information about the product:.. Especially, methods of use, etc. This data is not visible in the search results, but they are present on the page "Shopping." It is important that the description shown is not entirely as uploaded in your feed.
In this example, description length - 120 symbols. You can upload up to 5,000 characters, but the most important information you need to add in the beginning. In the description it is not necessary to use a phrase about events, special offers and delivery.
This attribute allows Google to figure out what category the product belongs to affect its showing in the search. This attribute has ceased to be compulsory, because now Google is able to accurately determine the type automatically. However, the error is still there.
To achieve maximum accuracy, I recommend downloading this attribute alone. According to the link access all Google search. It is important to use them in a way in which they are provided by Google. The more accurately be described category, the better, t. E. Need to add the whole chain, not just the upper level.
Another optional attribute, but it is worth paying attention to, as it helps to organize the trade campaign and is usually used to create product groups. Product type has the same format as google_product_category, and may coincide with the Google category. But he does not limit us in this, that is, an attribute, you can use its value.
This attribute is necessary to register a link to a specific product. It must begin with http or https. If the link is a mobile version of the site is different from the desktop, it is necessary to add to mobile_link attribute.
Main picture of the goods. If the goods are several images, use the optional attribute additional_image_link, where you can specify up to 10 links to additional images, separated by commas. Below I will write recommendations for some cases where there may be multiple images available:
1. If the item is one, but there are additional images from different angles or examples of the use of the goods. In this case, it is recommended to add the product image_link photo from base-view, and as additional photos - pictures of goods in other perspectives and examples of its use.
2. If the product consists of several elements, such as the goods - a virtual reality system, which includes the VR-helmet controller and two base stations. In this case, the main picture image is better to use the whole set, but have additional - each item individually.
3. If the goods - the packaging, it is recommended on the main image to specify the product, as well as an additional - packaging.
Image - one of the most important elements in the ad, it is the first thing users notice. It is therefore important to work hard on this attribute:
- use of high quality square image, at least 800x800, but the more, the better;
- the picture should not be text. If he do, Google will remove it himself or with a tool to improve the image (if it is connected to your account), or reject photos;
- Ideally the picture should be the goods on a white background. But one needs to look at and then what the picture will be next. Often it happens that all the ads look the same. And in this case it is possible to stand out from the competition by uploading a non-standard image:
Required for all products, it can take three values: new, used or refurbished (new, b / y, restored).
Attribute can take three values: in stock, out of stock or preorder (available, not available, pre-order). The latter can be used for goods for which the site is available for preorder.
Cost of goods from VAT for most countries, except the US and Canada, where the tax information should be added to the tax attribute. The value of the goods need not include shipping cost, for this is a separate attribute - shipping.
Currency must match the currency of the sales country. The good news is that the Merchant Center is able to convert the currency of the feed in the sales currency of the country automatically. To allow him to do this, you need to arrange the values in accordance with ISO 4217 standard, that is, this kind of: 100.01 RUB. This can be important for advertisers who want to target several countries. It is important to note that the Korean Won Google does not convert: to work with the country must be loaded in the feed with prices Won.
Price in your feed must match the price on the site. If the site is marked up using the schema.org, you can configure automatic updates prices, although still it does not negate the regular updating feed.
This attribute allows you to specify a special offer for a product that makes the ad more visible and more competitive.
Here are examples of how it might look:
Required only for a number of countries, more can be viewed in Google help . It is important that the delivery of the currency must match the currency of the attribute price.
GTIN = Global Trade Item Number, in other words it is a well-known bar code. He has many items, but not all. Google offers the following types of goods, which may not have this option:
- goods store brands;
- spare parts;
- products and replacement parts from original equipment manufacturers (OEM);
- Products made to order (designer t-shirts, art, handmade things);
- books published before 1970, when the ISBN number has been accepted as an ISO standard;
- Vintage and antique goods;
- Products manufactured for pre-order.
For these products, you should specify the brand and mpn.
Packaging can be used gtin individual commodity.
This attribute specifies the name of the company that manufactured the product. Use the name of the shop or distributor is not necessary.
mpn = Manufacturer Part Number. This number is provided by the manufacturer of the goods. Attribute only in the case if the product is no gtin.
It would be desirable to underline these three attributes, and explain why it is important to fill them correctly. The fact that different companies for the same goods may use different values in the attributes title and description. Google will use this attribute distinguishes the same products, and increases the relevance of ad impressions and coverage. If the attributes are not listed, or an incorrect value, Google may refuse the goods or the goods will not clicks.
This attribute tells Google, whether there are three above-described attribute.
- If the goods have gtin / mpn and brand, you must specify the «True».
- If the goods do not have these attributes, you must specify the «False».
The idea to specify «False» in the case, if the goods have these attributes are bad. The fact that the Google, most likely, there is some data base matching products gtin, brand, mpn. In the end, he realizes that the goods must have attributes and rejected with the error "Invalid value: has an ID."
This attribute should be used when a product has several variations. For example, a T-shirt in different colors and sizes. This allows for each product variant exhibit different values of color attributes, size and price. That is, with it you can create a group of products, for example, T-shirts:
item_group_id = 123
And the goods will be included in this group:
- Shirt red S;
- Shirt yellow S;
- white shirt S;
- T-shirt Red M, and so on. d.
Each of the above products will be a unique identifier, but Google will understand that this is one and the same product, which differ only in properties.
Attribute is required for apparel category in some countries. If the item is available in several colors, you must specify them by a slash.
Attribute is required for products containing elements nudity or sexually explicit. This attribute should be used only if it is needed, otherwise the displays may be severely limited.
These five attributes can be used to add your own values. Here are a few examples that can be transferred to:
- range of prices for goods, for example, the values of "0-100", "100-200", "200-300", and so on. etc .;
- customer data on the marginality of certain goods;
- data on the effectiveness of the goods in the PLA-campaigns, for example, the values of «high», «medium», «low».
These data can be used for additional analytics and reporting, as well as campaign groups. The campaign settings you can use filters, including the custom label. This, for example, allows you to select groups of products in separate campaigns to use it a unique value tROAS.
Creating the correct feed with well-described attributes - one of the basic steps that will allow to run an effective campaign commercial. Hopefully, this guide will help to quickly deal with the feeds, but more detailed information can be found in the Google Ads help .